GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Benedikt Huber benjovi at gmx.net
Sat Nov 10 11:09:37 EST 2007

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> A full binary distribution of GHC 6.8.1 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> is available from
> http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.1-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

Thanks, it's great you provided a binary distribution, especially
since macports' ghc seems to be broken on Leopard at the moment.

I had one little problem when linking with a dynamic library  though
(darwin9 / i386):
<<<
ghc --make -O -hidir build/ifaces -odir build/objs Foreign/
YicesTest.hs -o bin/YicesTest -optl "-fexceptions"  -lstdc++ -lyices
Linking bin/YicesTest ...
ld: absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) used in
___gmpn_divexact_1 from <ghc-6.8.1-dir>/lib/ghc-6.8.1/
libgmp.a(dive_1.o) not allowed in slidable image

I don't know if this is a known problem and what causes it, and I'm
not sure what it means;
However, replacing the 'libgmp.a' you've distributed with a recently
compiled one from macports  (gmp 4.2.2_0) resolved the problem for me.

Benedikt