6.8.1 compilation error - final results

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Thu Nov 8 08:11:12 EST 2007

For those (if any) following my latest build saga   :)

After install gcc 4.2.1, and dispensing with extralibs, I was able to build
6.8.1 from source.  (This is on an x86 linux box running the 2.6.21 with the
preemptive scheduler.)  (I mention the scheduler because I have a lurking
suspicion that it is related to the fact that I see more seg faults and
internal compiler errors than people I've communicated with running the same
kernel and compiler but the default scheduler.)

I did experience one seg fault during link, near the end of the build
process.  I restarted the build and it completed.

I'm going to run the build on one of my other Linux boxes today with the
same tools (gcc 4.2.1 and ghc 6.6.1) and see if there are any linker seg
faults.  I've tried to eliminate my memory hardware as a factor; of course,
the only way to truly eliminate hardware is to get the same behavior on more
than one box.