GHC Extensibility

Monique Monteiro monique.louise at gmail.com
Wed May 30 10:45:33 EDT 2007

Hi (this message is mainly intended to the GHC Team),

 is there any plan to improve GHC's extensibility by providing a
simpler way to integrante new backends?  I worked at Haskell.NET
project in the past, when we integrated successfully a .NET code
generator to GHC 6.2.2.  As it wasn't stable enough, we didn't
integrate it to the main branch.
 However, I've been trying to integrate our code generator to 6.6.1
and I've not been able to compile it up to now, due to several changes
in GHC's code!  I haven't yet figured out how to call the .NET code
generator from GHC 6.6.1's main function.  Further, it would be great
if there was a better extensibility mechanism (such as a "plugin"
infrastructure, for example)  in which it wasn't necessary to use
"#ifdef"along the code.  Also, it would be very useful if this
mechanism/API was well documented.
 Of course, this is only a suggestion.

Best regards.

Monique Monteiro, MSc
MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
Project Manager
Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
+55 81 34198137
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm