readArray is faster than unsafeRead

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue May 29 03:32:55 EDT 2007

That is indeed odd. As I recall unsafeRead doesn't do array-bound checking, and that ought to be faster, always. I don't have time to look into this myself (soon, anyway), but

a) if someone does (look at Core!) I'd be interested to know the outcome

b) unless it turns out to be a red herring, would you like to add a Trac bug report (we really ought to have a category for "performance bug") giving the smallest program you can that demonstrates the unexpected behaviour?

Simon