Installing GHC

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Mar 16 00:12:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 07:11:16PM +0100, Daniel Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install a ghc on a sidux box (something akin to debian, I believe). apt-get install seemed to work, but running ghc results in:
>  /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6/ghc-6.6: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> So I'm trying to get libreadline.so.4. The compatibility RPM doesn't help, kpackage complains about missing /sbin/ldconfig, libncurses.so.5, libc.so.6 althouh all are present. apt-get install libreadline4 results in
>
> Paket libreadline4 ist nicht verf?gbar, wird aber von einem anderen
> Paket referenziert. Das kann hei?en, dass das Paket fehlt, dass es veraltet
> ist oder nur aus einer anderen Quelle verf?gbar ist.
> Doch die folgenden Pakete ersetzen es:
>   readline-common
> E: Paket libreadline4 hat keinen Installationskandidaten
>
> What should I try next?
Hi Daniel.
I haven't used rpm based systems very much. So this might not help you
..

Try using ldd on you ghc binary to see all dll dependencies.
Perhaps this gives you some info why the libraries aren't found.

In general you can try using tools like www.rmpseek.com to find missing
packages.
If libraries aren't found running ldconfig might help. This recreates
all symlinks.

But perhaps the most easiest way is trying to make your sidux box using
debian package repositories (don't know wether this messes up your
system) as I think the ghc rpm package was compiled and tested with
them.

You might also try installig ghc from source (you need another ghc
binary install first to bootstrap) You can find documentation about how
to install from source on the ghc site.

If really everythig else fails you can also create a new environment
containing another os (such as debian) eg by using user mode linux.
(Then you need some more disk space)

Do you have any recent ghc running?

Good luck
Marc