ghci and ghc -threaded broken with pipes & forking

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:54:05 EST 2007

Hello Simon,

>> But let me add a voice to keeping the non-threaded RTS around.

i want to mention that problem here is not the threaded RTS by itself, but
standard i/o library that works via separate i/o manager thread that
is built-in part of RTS. my Streams library [1] don't uses this thread
at all. for threads created with forkOS it provides excellent
overlapping of I/O and computations (thanks, Simon, situation was
*greatly* improved in 6.6). of course, it should be not so great for
forkIO'd threads

that i want to say is that future i/o lib may be written in the
RTS-independent way. John Meacham once proposed to develop some common
API for i/o managers that will allow to use various "select" variants
with any i/o lib that works via this API

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com