64-bit windows version?

skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 20 00:15:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 07:34 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> > Why do you need mingw? What's wrong with MSVC++?
>
> really! Simon, how about unregisterised build?
>
> skaller, is *free* 64-bit msvc (or any other windows c++ compiler) available?

Visual Studio Express is a Visual Studio 2005 IDE system for XP
with some features disabled, the disabled features include
interactive debugging, help, online news/blog stuff, etc:
advanced IDE features.

AFAIK the compilers are intact and can be used on the command line
as well as from the IDE. I think you do need to download
the platform SDK separately though. AFAIK on x86_64 platform,
VS is a 32 bit program, as are the compilers, but they can
generate 64 bit code (the 32 and 64 bit compilers are separate
executables and run in distinct environments .. )

One thing to watch though: embedded assembler is gone in new
MSVC++ compilers (due to multi-arch support I guess).
However assembler works in 64 bit, Ocaml 64 bit for Windows uses it.