Locating shared libraries

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Fri Jun 15 20:40:31 EDT 2007

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:21:50 +1000
skaller <skaller at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> One way to measure this is: if you removed GHC and applications,
> and there are (necessarily) no users of the remaining library
> package .. the library package shouldn't be in the global public
> place (/usr/lib+include etc).

As I understand it, the entire point of this effort (shared libraries
in GHC) is to allow dynamically linked Haskell executables.  In this
case, applications outside the GHC toolchain will in fact depend on
these shared objects.  As a concrete case, a binary darcs package could
be a user of libghc66-base.so and libghc66-mtl.so -- with no
dependencies on the GHC compiler package itself.

Does this pass your litmus test?

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen