Locating shared libraries

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Jun 15 12:28:49 EDT 2007

Hi John,

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:17:16AM +1000, skaller wrote:

> The rules for package managers like Debian are that a component
> library split into /usr/include, /usr/lib MUST have a man page,

I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Debian policy:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1
says
    Each [...] function *should* have an associated manual page
(my emphasis), and doesn't say anything about where the function is in
the file system.

(it would be great if someone were to tweak haddock to generate suitable
manpages, incidentally).

> and it MUST be a separately usable C/C++-callable component.

Have you got a reference for that? I can't see it in a quick skim of
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html
and the FHS.

Thanks
Ian