Locating shared libraries

Rich Neswold rich.neswold at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 12:26:52 EDT 2007

On 6/12/07, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:

> > Let's see how libtool handles this situation.
>
> I would recommend against following libtool's lead in this area.
> Libtool's fondness for cooking RPATH into binaries makes it very
> difficult to deal with, because it's quite common for those binaries to
> get installed and distributed, RPATH and all.  RPATH should only be used
> by a user who knows they have a large-calibre weapon pointed at their
> foot.

The NetBSD Project has a different opinion and strongly encourages the use
of RPATHs. Letting the user alter the lookup path for installed binaries is
seen as a security problem. Since every NetBSD system has its libraries in
one directory and third-party libraries are in /usr/pkg/lib, there's no
problem in hardcoding the paths.
Just another data point...

--
Rich