2-days old in Haskell

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 10:09:40 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 04:00:51PM +0200, TOPE KAREM wrote:
> I am very new to Haskell, and I am using this webpage as a learning source:
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_in_5_steps#Install_Haskell
>
> I downloaded and instal GHC and it works as was said.
>
> I tried to write my first Haskell program:
>
> prelude> "Hello World!"
> "Hello World, World!"
>
> it works as said.
>
> Then: (This is the problem)
>
> I would like to create a source code and compile it using GHC compiler. I
> opened a notepad and type this program:
>
> main = putStrLn "Hello, Word!"
>
> I saved this file as hello.hs in the same directory GHCi 6.6.1 was
> installed.
>
> When I tried to compile it as instucted on the webpage ( $ ghc  -o hello
> hello.hs), I got this error message.
>
> <interactive>: 1:0: parse error on input '$'
>
> please what am I doing wrong.
>
> Thank you and sorry for your time.

Three things:

1. The $ is just a sample prompt, a convention used to indicate what
   you should typed.

2. The command is for a shell (CMD or COMMAND), not GHCi.

3. The command is wrong!  for Windows it should be "ghc -o hello.exe
   hello.hs".  Assuming you aren't knowledgable yet on the differences
   between Windows and Unix programming environments, it might be a good
   idea to pick another tutorial.

Stefan