problem compiling an older Haskell program with GHC 6.6.1

Scott Stoller stoller at cs.sunysb.edu
Fri Jul 6 09:59:41 EDT 2007

hi,

I am trying to compile paradox 1.0, an older (GHC 5) Haskell program,
with GHC 6.6.1 (the Solaris 10 / x86 binary distribution).

in case anyone else wants to try it, I put the paradox source code at
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~stoller/out/paradox-1.0-casc.tar.gz

in the Makefile, I deleted "-package lang" from HFLAGS, and added "-v" to it.
then I typed "make".  I got the following error message:

Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 6.6.1, for Haskell 98, compiled by GHC version 6.6.1
Using package config file: /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6.1/package.conf
wired-in package base mapped to base-2.1.1
wired-in package rts mapped to rts-1.0
wired-in package haskell98 mapped to haskell98-1.0
wired-in package template-haskell mapped to template-haskell-2.1
Hsc static flags: -static
Created temporary directory: /tmp/ghc13306_0
*** Chasing dependencies:

Set.hs:26:7:
    Could not find module `Data.FiniteMap':
      locations searched:
        Data/FiniteMap.hs
        Data/FiniteMap.lhs
*** Deleting temp files:
Deleting: /tmp/ghc13306_0/ghc13306_0.dep
*** Deleting temp dirs:
Deleting: /tmp/ghc13306_0
make: *** [depend.mak] Error 1

is this a backwards-compatibility issue between GHC 6.6.1 and older
versions of GHC?  is there a simple workaround?

I can't easily use an older version of GHC, because I don't see binary
distributions of older versions of GHC for Solaris x86.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,
scott