Replacement for GMP: Update

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Wed Jan 24 11:18:41 EST 2007

Hello,

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 16:30, Peter Tanski wrote:
> Thorkil Naur and others have suggested writing the whole
> thing as small assembler operations and piece them together in
> Haskell; I have been looking into that as well but it seems to entail
> inlining every Integer function--imagine the code bloat.

Just a quick adjustment: I have suggested writing raw operations in
(hopefully) portable C. And although I would consider eliminating some of the
levels of calls (from the compiled Haskell code via Num.lhs and the handcoded
PrimOps.cmm to the specific C function implementing the desired operation), I
agree that inlining the entire function implementing the operation would be
excessive.

Best regards
Thorkil