status of GreenCard support

Peter Tanski p.tanski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 00:40:17 EST 2007

Marc Weber wrote:
> When using cabal and GreenCard it might be the case that you have to
> tweak setup.hs to add --libdir parameters. Probably it would be better
> to update cabal. Maybe I've missed a point to configure it correctly?
> If I can save you some minutes by dropping you me quick setup.hs hack
> let me know it.

I should have answered this in before, sorry.  GHC has not supported
GreenCard since version 6.2.  See http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/
Libraries_and_tools/Interfacing_other_languages
and
http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell@haskell.org/msg14004.html

I ran into that problem while attempting to get gcjni-1.2 to work
with GHC 6.4 awhile ago, got annoyed, and appended the warning to the
Haskell Wiki page lest others ran into the same problem.  The
Alastair Reid's successor to GreenCard, based on Template Haskell,
hasn't been finished yet (or perhaps it is dead?).  For more
automatic configuration, you might consider Template Haskell: see Ian
Lynagh's "Template Haskell: A Report From the Field", at http://
web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/ian.lynagh/papers/ .

There are still configuration parameters in the GHC build system for
GreenCard but from what I have seen of the rest it seems that you
would have to write your own support for the old _casm_ ffi bindings
back into the source code practically from scratch (perhaps grabbing
an archive of 6.1 would give you a better start).

Cheers,
Peter Tanski