[Haskell-cafe] External Core

Aaron Tomb atomb at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:35:06 EST 2007

Hi,

On more careful re-reading of the following email, which you sent at
the beginning of December, I think perhaps you meant to say IfaceSyn
where you said HsSyn?

That's what got me going down the path of implementing external core
with HsSyn (and a special type for external core expressions distinct
from HsExpr). It seemed like a great idea at the time, but it's
definitely getting hairy now that I delve into it.

I think I also remember someone saying (though I can't find the email
anymore) that it would be best to move away from using IfaceSyn on
input, because its typechecker expects well-typed input and doesn't
deal with errors nicely. Is there any intrinsic reason why it can't
deal with errors better? Perhaps the best strategy is to use
IfaceSyn, as before, and later, once it's working, improve the error
handling in its typechecker.

Anyway, using IfaceSyn in both directions (your alternative (a)) is
sounding better to me at this point. I'll get to work on it.

Thanks for all of the hand-holding. It's been quite helpful.

Aaron