ghc 6.6 for mac os x (intel)

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 02:50:36 EST 2007

[redirecting to the list]
On 2/5/07, Ariel Apostoli <apostoli at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hello Kirsten,
>
> Thanks so much for your time and help so far. However, I am still stuck
> on the issue when I try to do this:
>
> ./configure --with-readline-includes=/usr/local     \
>                   --with-readline-libraries=/usr/local
>
> I get:
> checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin8.8.1
> checking host system type... i686-apple-darwin8.8.1
> checking target system type... i686-apple-darwin8.8.1
> Canonicalised to: i386-apple-darwin
> checking for path to top of build tree... /Users/ariel/work/ghc/ghc-6.6
> checking for ghc... no
> checking for ghc-pkg matching ... no
> checking for ghc-pkg... no
> checking whether ghc has readline package... no
> checking for nhc... no
> checking for nhc98... no
> checking for hbc... no
> configure: error: GHC is required unless bootstrapping from .hc files.
>
> Do you know what should I do to avoid this?

Do you already have a binary version of GHC installed? If you want to
build GHC from source, you need a binary of GHC installed already,
like the error message suggests. (Unless you want to bootstrap from
.hc files, but I've never done that, so I don't know.)
See:
http://haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_66.html#macosxintel

You didn't say what version of Mac OS X you were using; if it's
anything older than 10.3, you're probably SOL.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"just thinking of a series of dreams" -- Bob Dylan