time profiling (was: (no subject))

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:55:55 EST 2007

On 2/5/07, Tays Soares <tayscristina at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I did at my master thesis a compiler that generates Haskell code. Now I need to measure the execution time of my generated code and I've been searched and I don't know if I'm looking with the wrong keywords but I could not find anything. I just need to measure the time of simple functions, like Ackermann and Fibonacci. Does anyone know how to measure the execution time of a Haskell program or function?

If you just want wallclock time, then use the standard Unix "time" command.

If you want more specific data, look at the Profiling section of the GHC manual:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/profiling.html
and also at the Profiling section of the Commentary, though it's very
incomplete:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Profiling

And feel free to ask again on this list after looking at those pages,
if you still have more questions.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"the faith that is so easy to forget / in moment after moment of distraction"