Become a GHC build slave!

Richard Giraud richardg at richardg.name
Mon Feb 5 04:04:39 EST 2007

I believe that there is value in having multiple BuildBots for the same
platform.  More value is provided when differences are maximized between
BuildBots but there is value in having similar BuildBots (particularly,
if the similar BuildBots are popular).

Even in the relatively monoculture world of Apple, there is a lot of
variation:
- The G4 and Core chips are 32-bit and the G5, Core 2, and Core 2 Xeon
chips are 64-bit.
- The G4 chips have some endianess instructions that are not present in
the G5s.
- The G5 and Core chips may have 1 or 2 cores in them.
- The G5 and Core 2 Xeon chips may come in 1 or 2 CPU variations.
- The Core 2 Xeon chips will soon come in 2 or 4 core versions.
- The PPC chips support 2 major versions of Mac OS X (10.3 and 10.4).
- Third party libraries and applications can come from from:
   - Apple.
   - darwinports.
   - fink.
   - manually installation.
- The libraries may have multiple versions.

Creating a bunch of similar BuildBots will help improve coverage of
these differences.