whole program optimization

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 14:50:17 EST 2007

On 12/24/07, Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at charter.net> wrote:
> Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> > It's been done.  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~hal/HAllInOne/index.html
> >
> > Stefan
>
> which alas seems to have a ridiculous, probably unenforcable license :-)
> Interesting though - I wonder how correct it is.

[wildly off-topic, but...]
It's not entirely clear, but this license doesn't seem any less
enforceable than any other clickwrap license. I think the usual
arguments for why the GPL is enforceable (see, for example,
http://www.open-bar.org/docs/GPL-enforceability.pdf) apply to this
license too, silly as it may be. Also see the caselaw on clickwrap
licenses, summarized at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickwrap#Legal_consequences_in_the_United_States_of_America
(yeah, Wikipedia, but at least it's well-cited).

Modulo the copyright-vs.-contract debate, there's nothing in the
Big-Kazooba-Ritual license that seems to violate the usual principles
for a unilateral form contract, probably because no lawyer would ever
think up something that perverse :-)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."  --