whole program optimization

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 07:47:40 EST 2007

Hi Isaac,

I've had similar thoughts before. Once GHC can read and write external
Core this should become a half hour hack. I did a similar thing in
Yhc, and it really is trivial
(http://darcs.haskell.org/yhc/src/compiler98/Core/Linker.hs). I'm sure
there would be a few corner cases, but those kind of things can easily
be patched over.

I think there would be speed improvements, but not as dramatic as for
something that was designed to do whole-program from the outset.

Thanks

Neil - who really wants external Core