ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Mon Dec 17 16:40:03 EST 2007

Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> Isaac makes an important point (although I'm not sure it's
 > the point he intended to make  :)   ), there is really
 > nothing in the definition of UNIX itself that specifies
 > or requires a home directory.  It's a convention followed
 > by shells, primarily.

$HOME is a convention too prevalent to not have one in a running system,
unless you try really hard.

But I've only seen it used for two things that I remember:
- dot-files (and sometimes non-dot ones for IMHO ill-behaved programs)
as a per-user search and automatic generation location
- default location for shells (graphical file search as well as
command-line) - which IMO should be controllable by a different variable
- and '~' as a sort of synonym, I guess, even in some contexts that
don't allow arbitrary environment variable substitution?

any others?

Isaac