ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Dec 17 05:19:58 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 12:53:32PM +1100, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

> It seems to be a matter of the precise ld call parameters whether the
> gmp/ in the ghc repo is used or the external one.  In using the stage1
> compiler to link the stage2 compiler, the external one wins, but in
> linking other programs with the stage1 compiler, the internal gmp wins.

Hmm, that's interesting. The internal GMP should only be built if
HaveLibGmp != YES and HaveFrameworkGMP != YES, in which case it should
always use the internal one, and there shouldn't be an external one to
use anyway.

> Actually, I think, we should use the gmp/ in the ghc repo by default

If you want to use it when building a bindist that might be used on
other computers you shold be able to set
    HaveLibGmp = NO
    HaveFrameworkGMP = NO
in mk/build.mk, although I'm not sure I've ever tried it.

The disadvantages of using it are it might be out of date (we had some
Windows segfaults a while ago that were fixed by updating the in-tree
gmp) and wasted space.

Thanks
Ian