Portage slots for GHC?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 18:01:47 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 17:09 +0000, kahl at cas.mcmaster.ca wrote:

> Until portage actually can do this in a better way,
> you would have to multiply ebuilds
> (probably each with common import and a one-line variable setting)
> (I don't know the exact restrictions on portage version strings):

Right that'd be possible, to include the slot information into the
ebuild name, but unfortunately that would be against gentoo versioning
policy. We're supposed to have the ebuild name be the package name and
use slotting for the other stuff. We have talked to portage devs about
our problem. We'll have to wait, or all jump ship to NixOS which can do
this stuff properly.

> One day, you may even want mtl for other compilers...

Indeed, we'd want to slot on the compiler (and for ghc the compiler
version) and on the library version. Then we only want to satisfy other
haskell library dependencies from within the same compiler slot.

Duncan