ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Juanma Barranquero lekktu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:21:42 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 6:03 PM, Claus Reinke <claus.reinke at talk21.com> wrote:

> perhaps my fault for filing that ticket in absolutes, which led
> to a fix replacing, rather than augmenting, the old, erroneous
> behaviour.

It's not a matter of "fault", but sure it would've been wiser to
suggest (or implement) the new behavior without forgetting those of us
who were used to the current ways :)

> so, one would have to implement the overriding approach
> consistently (including getHomeDirectory), and issue warnings
> and documentation to make users aware of any such overriding
> taking place (and should it be optional, to avoid deviating from
> the platform standard?)..

As I've said, Emacs already does that and there's no trouble at all.

> as a short-term deprecation workaround
> for ghc-6.8.x, that makes some sense, but in the long-term?

Personally, I wouldn't want to use %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%, neither
short-term nor long-term, unless forced to do so.

             Juanma