ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Juanma Barranquero lekktu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:12:06 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 4:49 PM, Claus Reinke <claus.reinke at talk21.com> wrote:

> in the interest of backwards-compatibility, perhaps.

That is a good reason, yes.

> but as the links i gave should demonstrate, there is no
> %HOME% on windows, unless you invent it.

Sorry, it's not me who invented it. There are many tools (from Unix
origin) that use HOME in Windows if defined. In fact, let me think...
oh, yeah, I remember, GHCi itself used it until this very same
morning... :)

> and not looking for
> %HOMEPATH% if there's no %HOME% is always a bug.

That's why I suggest using HOME if defined, ShGetFolderPath if not.

> if you absolutely want to define a %HOME%, and you
> also absolutely want to keep it different from %HOMEPATH%
> (which means you have two homes to take care of!)

No. I don't "take care" of the Windows-provided home dir, because it
is mostly used *automatically* by programs that write their setting
files to it. It is rare indeed the Windows program that requires the
user to go to %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% and edit a file there.

> %HOMEPATH%\.ghci:
>
>     :cmd System.Environment.getEnv "HOME" >>= \h->readFile (h++"/.ghci")
>
> %HOME\.ghci
>
>     -- as before

Thanks, I'll use that. However, I still think that breaking
back-compatibility is Not a Good Idea.

             Juanma