type equality symbol

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Fri Dec 7 07:45:41 EST 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

 > The problem is that Haskell 98 already messed that up.
 > If type functions are to use lower-case letters, [...]

Yes.

The broken thing is that the upper/lower case distinction
has syntactic importance in the language definition at all.

I guess this was introduced to avoid writing out
some declarations. This is a bad design goal,
especially so for a declarative language.

Reminds me of ancient Fortran using the first letter of an identifier
for implicit typing (I .. N for integer, others for real).

Best regards,
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------