FreeBSD/amd64 registerised running

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Apr 12 14:57:55 EDT 2007

> I'm confused.  I thought we copied the configuration from the target to the host
> as part of the bootstrapping process, but now I can't see how this is supposed
> to happen for HsBaseConfig.h.  It looks like following the instructions in the
> building guide will result in failure if you try to cross-compile between
> machines with different word sizes, but I know I've done this in the past :-/
> Ian, any idea how this is supposed to work?
>
> Anyway, to answer your question, using hsc2hs in System.Posix.Types will cause
> problems for bootstrapping GHC, yes, because we can't run hsc2hs on the target
> without GHC, but we can run configure.  I suppose we could add a dependency on
> another Haskell compiler just to run hsc2hs, but that's a pain.

how about a repository for platform-specific configuration files? that way you only
need the first user on each platform to figure things out, either by installing extra tools
or by modifying existing configuration files?

btw, lots of things have changed since i last built ghc, but i thought it strange that
configure used to rediscover platform-specific configuration data for each sub-project
(each running its own configure, but not seeming all that specific in what to test for).

claus