FreeBSD/amd64 registerised running

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:33:27 EDT 2007

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also after the base
>> reorg we  might find we have no hsc2hs-generated code left in base and
>> we can disable  hsc2hs to prevent this happening again.
>
> Ah.  I was about to checkin a replacement for System.Posix.Types (in
> base) that uses hsc2hs instead of autoconf.  Will that cause a problem?
> I'm guessing that even the autoconf'd sources are currently bootstrapped
> on the host rather than the target, so maybe the changeover will make no
> difference?

I'm confused.  I thought we copied the configuration from the target to the host
as part of the bootstrapping process, but now I can't see how this is supposed
to happen for HsBaseConfig.h.  It looks like following the instructions in the
building guide will result in failure if you try to cross-compile between
machines with different word sizes, but I know I've done this in the past :-/
Ian, any idea how this is supposed to work?

Anyway, to answer your question, using hsc2hs in System.Posix.Types will cause
problems for bootstrapping GHC, yes, because we can't run hsc2hs on the target
without GHC, but we can run configure.  I suppose we could add a dependency on
another Haskell compiler just to run hsc2hs, but that's a pain.