FreeBSD/amd64 registerised running

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Tue Apr 10 07:12:00 EDT 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Aha.  Text/Regex/Posix.hs is generated from Text/Regex/Posix.hsc by
> hsc2hs, but this is done on the *host* rather than the *target* when
> bootstrapping, and thus generates the wrong results.  If you'd run
> hsc2hs on the target, then Text/Regex/Posix.hs would have been correct,
> but you can't do this because hsc2hs is a Haskell program.  You could
> take the .c file generated by hsc2hs on the host and compile/run it on
> the target, but that's a hassle, so instead our policy is that we don't
> rely on any hsc2hs-generated code for bootstrapping.
>
> Unfortunately I broke the rules by accident when I introduced the
> dependency on regex.  I can't think of an easy way to enforce the rule,
> at least at the moment, since there are other hsc2hs-processed modules
> that we happen to not depend on in GHC (System.Time and System.CPUTime).

Could the solution be to depend on a pure Haskell regex implementation instead
of on a regex-posix / Posix.hsc and the system regex library?

The regex-tdfa backend could be modified to work with the regex-base in GHC 6.6
and then regex-compat could quickly be switched to use this instead of regex-posix.

--
Chris Kuklewicz