FW: [GHC] #916: windows installer should play nice with other Haskell tools

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:12:35 EDT 2006

Hi

> 3. file type for .hs/.lhs:
>     all Haskell systems should agree on one (and I have
>     a vague feeling that there was a consensus about this
>     several years back, something to do with MIME?)

My text there was chosen at random, I have no particular tie to it
what-so-ever. A MIME type is probably desirable too, if anyone can
remember what was decided upon.

>     + default action: _never_ override existing default!!
>
> so the only unclear/controversial point seems to be the
> default. from discussion with Neil, I assume that the
> programmer/installer-perspective is not quite as simple
> as the user perspective, but here's what I'd like to see:

Hmm, I appreciate thats simpler logic. The thing is that GHCi doesn't
really have a good idea how to open .hs files under Windows, and
WinHugs has a really good idea - hence there is a better user
experience if WinHugs is used.

How about:

GHC installs Open with GHCi, not as default (if there are no other
commands it will be default anyway)

WinHugs installs Open with WinHugs, Edit with WinHugs, giving the
option to make Edit with WinHugs the default during install
(defaulting to Yes if there is no default action, No if there is one)

I'll also provide some configuration dialog within WinHugs to have a
drop down list for all the installed actions, and allow the user to
pick a default.

Thanks

Neil