FW: [GHC] #916: windows installer should play nice with other Haskell tools

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 12:51:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

> While this may not be true for other interpreted files, the convention
> that seems to have been established for batch files, HTML files, etc
> is that the Open (default) menu item runs (or displays) the given
> file, and that there are non-default Edit options for each possible
> editor (e.g., Notepad, Dreamweaver, etc.).  Adopting this convention,
> each interpreter would add "Open in <interpreter>" to the context
> menu, providing the user an option to make this the default behavior,

It's not always true, consider .c files - double clicking them doesn't
compiled and execute them. It seems different things do different
ways, so I'd say Haskell should do what's most useful.

> and would, if necessary, also install an "Edit with <interpreter>"
> option.

No interpretters actually allow the user to edit within them at the
moment, hence one Edit action seems sufficient. If this were to
change, then this seems a reasonable way of representing it.

The advantage of having one Edit command which is the default is that
its a single unambiguous default, and doesn't result in things
stealing from each other etc. No one has to "decide" if they are a GHC
user or a Hugs user, then can all just be happy. I think its possible
to make an Edit command the default, would that make you happier? i.e.
no open, but by default you edit.

Thanks

Neil