ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.6 Release Candidate

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Wed Sep 27 10:12:44 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow schrieb:
> Christian Maeder wrote:
>> I've downloaded the source bundle ghc-6.5.20060918-src.tar.bz
>>
>> After ./configure and make, I realized that I have no root permissions
>> for installation. So called
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/local/home/maeder/ghc-6.5
>>
>> followed by "make" and "make install" only to find out that
>>
>> /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.5.20060918/ghc-6.5.20060918
>>
>> cannot be found by my /local/home/maeder/ghc-6.5/bin/ghc (in line 5).
>>
>> What do I have to clean after "configure" with a new prefix? (I hope not
>> everything. And I hope it works at all with a different prefix)
>
> I think this is just because you tried to re-configure with a new prefix
> after the first failed installation, and the (slightly hacky) binary
> distribution Makefile didn't know to re-generate the scripts.  If you
> unpacked the distribution and tried from scratch with a new prefix, it
> should work.

You're right, I re-configured with a new prefix. (I never tried to
install with the wrong prefix but only called "make" in the sources.)

Rather than recompiling the whole sources I grabbed a new binary
distribution from the dist site.

So I solved my problem but it discouraged me to compile the ghc sources
(again).  Aren't there just a few spots to be removed to allow changing
the prefix?

Christian