more fixups for GHC docs

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Sep 7 21:52:57 EDT 2006

Hi Bulat,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 07:26:38PM +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> 1. section 7.11.6 contains small typo - both %note are "%note foo"
> while CORE pragmas use "foo" and "bar"
>
> 2. section 7.13 notes that generic classes was broken in GHC 5.02.
> afaik, they worked at least in GHC 6.4

Both fixed, thanks.

> also it will be great if each paragraph of Release Notes will link to
> corresponding section in documentation for further reading. now we
> don't have links for impredicative polymorphism, bang patterns,
> GC improvements (we can point to http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/650),
> -I RTS flag, -split-objs flag (and also it will be great to mention
> here that its using allows to reduce size of binaries)

I've added links to these.

> i think that it should be mentioned here that parallel arrays support
> is omitted in 6.6 despite this support was never documented

Done.

> and last question - i don't like inclusion of unix and win32 in a list
> of core libs. why they are here? may be it's possible to include small
> modules with functionality required for compiler itself in GHC.*
> hierarchy and then move the rest into extra libraries?

This doesn't work well for any parts shared with the other compilers.
"core libs" is possibly the wrong name for it - "bootstrapping libs"
might be more appropriate.

Note also that unix and win32 haven't been included in anything they
weren't already, it's just that other libraries (those that are now
called "extra libs") have been taken out. We can always take more out
for 6.8 if we want.

Thanks
Ian