Link errors when using the GHC API

Clemens Fruhwirth clemens at endorphin.org
Mon Oct 16 06:46:23 EDT 2006

At Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:29:22 +0200,
Bas van Dijk <basvandijk at home.nl> wrote:

> (I noticed my reply to Mathew Mills didn't reach the GHC list, so here it is.)
>
> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:53, Mathew Mills wrote:
> > Interesting.   I was unable to reproduce your problem.  What platform
> > are you running on?  Are you using a binary distribution or one you
> > built from source?
>
> I'm running Gentoo Linux (x86). I emerged the latest GHC (6.6). So GHC is
> built from source.

The problem is Gentoo specific. Quick dirty fix: cp
/usr/lib/ghc-6.6/HSCabal.o /usr/lib/Cabal-1.1.6/ghc-6.6/HSCabal-1.1.6.o

The problem stems from incompatible build options. -split-objs for the
ghc built library in /usr/lib/ghc-6.6 and no split objs for the one in
/usr/lib/Cabal-1.1.6. The problem is ghc expects its own library,
namely one that was built with split-objs.

They are working on a solution, as they want to ship a stand-alone
version of Cabal. I have no clue how this is going to work.
--
Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org
for robots: sp4mtrap at endorphin.org