darcs patch: initial, very incomplete tags generator (and 16 more)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:34:06 EDT 2006

Hello Norman,

Sunday, October 15, 2006, 2:38:57 AM, you wrote:
 >> is this working at this time? how i can download/use it?

 my pidgin english frequently forces me to write not that i want to
 say, but that i _can_ say :)  i'm sorry, but for me personally at
 this moment ghc/ctags is not very required because 1) i have my own
 hasktags-modified which works pretty ok with my personal programming
 style, and moreover 2) i still have problems with use of vim :)

 what i exactly want to say is that i realize importance of utility
 you wrote and greatly support your work

 seeing this list of patches, i thought that your work is done and
 asked for some form of full-fledged announce. i will be interested
 to look at it, but i can wait

about various variants of implementing tags tool:

1) i think that simple standalone tool like hasktags will always has
room to use because it works faster and allow to process any
incomplete/broken files

2) although in general it's better to make separate tool, in case of
tags i think it's better to integrate it with ghc. why? first - you
will be able to use --make magic of ghc (although i don't know - may
be it's also accessible via GHC API). second - i, as typical user,
prefer to always have up-to-date tag files. but how this can be
accomplished? by tagging on each compilation. in case of standalone
tool this means repeating of syntax analysis phase. it will be
great to have instead GHC option which refreshes tag files while
recompiling changed modules:

ghc --make --generate-ctags main.hs

and an option to _only_ refresh tag files:

ghc --make --only-ctags main.hs

3) about GHCi command - i think it will be better to have command that
updates tag files with info about all loaded (interpreted) modules at
this moment. together with auto-tagging on standalone compilation,
this should allow one to have full up-to-date tags information

one more question - can you deal with broken files (i.e. ones that
can't be compiled) ?  in particular, is the broken module makes unable
tagging of all files that depend on it?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com