Problem with ghc-6.5.20061008 on Mac OS X Intel

Aaron Tomb atomb at soe.ucsc.edu
Mon Oct 9 21:10:02 EDT 2006

Hi Deborah,

The first thing that springs to mind is that the mtl library (which
contains Control.Monad.State, the source of the link errors below)
isn't included in the 20060915 binary distribution, though it should
be easy to check it out and compile it separately. So, the question
is, why does it get all the way to link time before noticing that the
library isn't available?

It's possible that one version of GHC is trying to use object or
library files created by another version. I came across that problem
myself, at one point. You might check that only one copy of the
ghc-6.5/lib/ directory exists anywhere that GHC might find it.

When you say "this didn't happen before", do you mean that the
20060915 build can compile example25.hs, but trying to compile it
with your own build of 20061008 fails as you've described?

By the way, does readline  work for you with the ghci from the
20060915 binary distribution, and just not with the version you
compiled yourself? I ask because one of the people I was talking to
as I build the distribution had trouble with it.

Aaron