ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.6 Second Release Candidate

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Oct 2 07:29:24 EDT 2006

We are pleased to announce the Second Release Candidate phase for GHC 6.6.

        Snapshots beginning with 6.5.20061001 are release candidates for 6.6

We would be particularly interested to hear whether or not the 6.6 RC
works for people who were having trouble with 6.4.2.

Also, please note that the GHC API has changed since the last RC as a
result of some feedback from the Hackathon, so you may want to check
that any applications using it still work.

Download snapshots from here:

  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/dist/

Right now we have the source bundles:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/dist/ghc-6.5.20061001-src.tar.bz2
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/dist/ghc-6.5.20061001-src-extralibs.tar.bz2

Only the first of these is necessary.  The "extralibs" package contains
various extra packages that we normally supply with GHC (and a couple of new
ones) - unpack the extralibs tarball on top of the source tree to add them,
they will be included in the build automatically.

There are also currently binary distributions for x86_64/Linux (Fedora Core
5), i386/Linux (RedHat 7(!)), and Windows.  More may appear later.

Please test as much as possible, bugs are much cheaper if we find them
before the release!

We expect to release in about a week's time.

Thanks
Ian