bang patterns give fundamentally new capabilities?

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Nov 30 23:13:13 EST 2006

I was recently presented with the problem of writing a function like so

seqInt__ :: forall a . a -> Int# -> Int#
seqInt__ x y = x `seq` y

which seems fine, except 'seq' of type forall a b . a -> b -> b cannot
be applied to an unboxed value.

I could not think of a way to actually get the behavior I wanted until I
remembered bang patterns.

seqInt__ :: forall a . a -> Int# -> Int#
seqInt__ !x y = y

which seems to work!

my question is, is this actually something fundamentally new that bang
patterns allow or was I just not able to figure out the "old" way to do
it?

Also, is there a way to do something similar but for 'lazy' rather than
'seq'? I want something of type

type World__ = State# RealWorld

{-# NOINLINE newWorld__ #-}
newWorld__ :: a -> World__
newWorld__ x = realWord#  -- ???

except that I need newWorld__ to be lazy in its first argument. I need
to convince the opimizer that the World__ newWorld__ is returning
depends on the argument passed to newWorld__.

using any wacky ghc primitives in 6.6 is fine, I would just like
something that stands up to ghc -O2. when compiling with -O, ghc is too
clever and sees through tricks like this. (at least, that is what I
think is happening)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈