Tuning -funfolding-use-threshhold

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 06:19:59 EST 2006

Hello Donald,

> Does this thread on haskell-cafe, about getting better bit shifting
> results, indicate we should be tweaking the default unfolding-use
> threshold? Do the recent bit shifting/inlining patches improve things?

can you please look how much size of ghc.exe will be changed? i never
build it from sources but assume that -O2 used here?

ghc is a large executable and this should give us idea about how much
size of typical executable may be changed in this case. of course,
libraries should be also rebuild

according to "Secrets of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler inliner"
http://www.research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/Papers/inlining/inline-jfp.ps.gz
threshold was selected to not too increase executable sizes, but give
close to maximum possible change improvement. may be times changed
now, may be such change will improve only rare cases

and please - if you will try to recompile ghc - look also at
improvements in its speed

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com