Problem running X11 on PPC Mac

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Wed Nov 15 13:19:07 EST 2006

Hi Deborah:

On Nov 15, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:

>>> I think I remember seeing something like this.  I'll look into it
>>> some
>>> more.
>>
>> That's a gcc problem. I think, HSX11_cbits.o should be built with
>> gcc-3.3. (I assume your default is gcc-4.0.)
>>
>> Try adding "-pgmc /usr/bin/gcc-3.3" to ghc's command-line.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> P.S. I had to set DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH, before it worked for me
>
> Actually, I've been able to build GHC from source using gcc 4.0.1
> with no problems or special DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH. I've also had no
> problems running X11 programs (from xterm) via either ghc or ghci.
> I'm not sure what's going on here. If you are still getting the
> unknown symbol you can fix it by adding -lSystemStubs to the link.
> That should happen automatically if everything is building properly.

The build configuration does not seem to be the problem.  The -
lSystemStubs issue has happened before,
preventing us from building gcc 4.x out of the box using the gcc
shipped by Apple.  (It is a sign that
gcc itself is misconfigured.)

> I think this may be a problem with the way the macports port is set
> up. Maybe try building it by hand, or using the binary
> distribution? (Although the Intel binary distribution is broken for
> X11, the PPC one works).
>
> Gregory, one thing to check: if X11 was installed properly, there
> should be a symbolic link /usr/lib/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. If
> it's not there, then do:

The link is present.  There might be a problem with having to set
DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH, since
MacPorts supports installing its files anywhere, including installs
without administrator privileges.
If this is a real issue, it is simple to fix, since the script that
invokes ghc is already automatically
edited to include the correct paths to the libraries on which it
depends.

There may also be problems for people who built ghc from source and
then installed
the latest X11 update from Apple.

> sudo ln -s /usr/lib/X11 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
>
> Also, are you running 10.3 (Panther) or 10.4 (Tiger)?

10.4.8 with Xcode 2.4.1.  Does anyone know off the top of their head
which
Xcode was used to generate the binary distribution?

-Greg