make option suggestion

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 05:58:56 EST 2006

John Meacham wrote:
> I would definitely like something like this.
> like
>
> {-# PREPROCESS drift-ghc #-}
>
> to specify the file should be preprocced by drift-ghc.

I worry that putting details of the build procedure into the source file will
lead to problems.  Often build parameters need to be configurable, eg. do I use
happy's -g option or not?  It depends what Haskell compiler you're using.  Build
systems are usually well suited to doing configurable things.  Also, we don't
really want pathnames leaking into source files.

So we're left with just specifying the kind of preprocessor to use, as in the
example above.  It's certainly more general than the existing scheme of looking
at the file extension, but I wonder whether it's worth it.