HEAD: Problem Linking genapply in 6.5.20060510

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Fri May 12 22:57:53 EDT 2006

On 5/13/06, Reilly Hayes <rfh at reillyhayes.com> wrote:
Hi

> I suspect today's problem is pretty easy to figure out for a GHC
> expert, but I'm not.  When I try to build utils/genapply, the link
> fails because the symbols _GHCziList_lvl22_closure and
> _GHCziList_zdwlen_info are undefined.  I'll include the build log

On actual problem, I have no idea except the simple..maybe .hi
files were inconsistent with object files.

> below.  While we're on the topic, can somebody explain the algorithm
> used to generate these symbol names?

I might be wrong on any of this, but I'm giving it a shot as it
might take over weekend before Simons or anyone else
answers.

It's called zencoding, found in
http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc/compiler/utils/Encoding.hs
_ on start is just some typical c-name thingy.
Otherwise those symbols are from GHC.List module.
_info and _closure mean different use of that name that comes
before them (lvl22 and $wlen).  I think compiler/cmm/CLabel.hs
might help on that, or rather modules that use it.  I am not sure
how to track name generators for lvl22 and $.

HTH,
--Esa