Parallel GHC on Altix?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri May 12 07:57:13 EDT 2006

Hello Simon,

> The GC is currently single-threaded, but we have an intern who started
> here this week (Roshan James) who is working on a parallel
> implementation of the GC.

GREAT! if you browse Intel/AMD news, you should know that they plan to
double number of cores each two years (anyway, it's a Moore law) so
it's possible that Haskell will become best application programming
language just because it simplifies using of all these cores together

moreover, afaiu, this means that ghc-compiled programs will no more
stall for several seconds doing major GC that is also very important
for any user-interactive program (especially games :) )

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com