Possible runtime overhead of wrapping the IO monad?

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Wed Mar 29 21:50:06 EST 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:
> With -O2 enabled, __ccall_GC duma_vertex3f is indeed called directly
> instead of vertex3f, from a different module, so that proves that
> different monads can indeed be used to wrap IO operations without any
> performance penalty at all.

However I've just discovered there *is* a penalty for converting between
callback functions that return a different monad from the IO monad. For
example, if I have a RenderM monad that allows primitives to be drawn to the
screen, and a callback:

       newtype RenderM a = RenderM (IO a) deriving (Functor, Monad, MonadIO)

       type RenderCallback = Int -> Int -> RenderM ()

where the intention is that the callback will take the width and height of
the window and return a RenderM action, the problem is that because the FFI
does not allow RenderM to appear in a foreign type, the actual render
function has to be converted into a function which returns an IO action
instead of a RenderM action eg by:

       type RenderCallbackIO = Int -> Int -> IO ()

       dropRenderM :: RenderCallback -> RenderCallbackIO
       dropRenderM f x y = let RenderM io = f x y in io

       foreign import ccall duma_onRender :: FunPtr RenderCallbackIO -> IO
()

       foreign import ccall "wrapper" mkRenderCallbackIO
            :: RenderCallbackIO -> IO (FunPtr RenderCallbackIO)

       onRender :: RenderCallback -> IO ()
       onRender f = mkRenderCallbackIO (dropRenderM f) >>= duma_onRender

With -O2 optimization, GHC does not seem to be able to optimize out the call
to dropRenderM even though this just changes the return value of f from
RenderM (IO a) to IO a, so RenderM is not transparent after all:

Duma.onRender = \ (f :: Duma.RenderCallback)
    (eta :: GHC.Prim.State# GHC.Prim.RealWorld) ->
    case (# GHC.Prim.State# GHC.Prim.RealWorld, () #)
Duma.mkRenderCallbackIO
              (Duma.dropRenderM f) eta
    of wild { (# new_s, a86 #) ->
    case (# GHC.Prim.State# GHC.Prim.RealWorld, () #) a86
    of ds { GHC.Ptr.FunPtr ds1 ->
    case (# GHC.Prim.State# GHC.Prim.RealWorld,
     () #) {__ccall_GC duma_onRender GHC.Prim.Addr#
     -> GHC.Prim.State# GHC.Prim.RealWorld
     -> (# GHC.Prim.State# GHC.Prim.RealWorld #)}
      ds1 new_s
    of wild1 { (# ds2 #) ->
    (# ds2, GHC.Base.() #)
    }
    }
    }

I must admit I'm not at all clear how to read the -ddump-simpl output so I
may have got this wrong, but since Duma.dropRenderM is mentioned, I think
this means this has not been optimized out.

Therefore there does seem to be an overhead for using different monads at
the moment (?)

Regards, Brian.