Information for GHC users on Gentoo Linux

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 24 06:17:37 EST 2006

Information for GHC users on Gentoo Linux:

GHC 6.4.1 has finally been marked stable on x86, amd64, sparc and ppc.
(We also support ppc64, alpha and hppa.)

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ghc

We also have a collection of over 30 Haskell libraries and tools:

http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=dev-haskell
http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=darcs

Not all of these are marked stable yet. To emerge a package that is not
yet marked stable, use this command:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge {pkgname}

(substitute ~x86 for your arch as appropriate)

Support and Bugs:

      * Bugs should be reported in the Gentoo bugzilla:
        http://bugs.gentoo.org/

      * There is also a #gentoo-haskell irc channel on FreeNode.

Filing bugs can also be used to ask for new packages or new versions of
existing packages. We would like to encourage users to suggest any
packages they feel are useful but are currently not included in portage
(though note that we generally only package released versions of
software where there are tarballs available and where there is an
expectation that the software is maintained).

For future reference this info is available from the haskell.org wiki:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Gentoo

We have an ebuild for recent ghc-6.4.2 pre-release snapshots (and also
for the latest darcs version of ghc-6.5). Anyone who would like to help
us test this should contact us on irc for details.

I'd like to thank the other members of Gentoo's Haskell 'herd' for their
hard work in testing and fixing bugs which got us to this level of
support.

Duncan