6.4.2 release plans

Michael Marte marte at pms.informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Mar 15 14:45:41 EST 2006

Simon Marlow wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> This is a heads up for the forthcoming 6.4.2 release.  Our rough
> timescale is to go into release candidate testing in about a week, and
> have two weeks of release candidates before the final release.
>
> Here are the things we know about and plan to fix before the release:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=6.4.2&order=priority
>

> If you have anything else for 6.4.2, please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>     Simon

What about ticket #716 (Unloading a dll generated by GHC doesn't free
all resources)?
It's about the RTS not waiting for threads to terminate s.t. the
application is very likely to crash when freeing the DLL.
As the detour via a DLL is the only way to use Haskell in a C++
application, this bug is quite critical from my point of view.
Lennart has proposed to stop the timer thread and provided a patch for
this against 6.5.
I would be glad to see this patch in 6.4.2 unless someone finds a way to
terminate the threads in a controlled fashion.

Michael