GHC 6.4.1 and Win32 DLLs: Bug in shutdownHaskell?

Michael Marte marte at pms.informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Mar 3 05:10:14 EST 2006

Cyril,

- How to generate an import library at all? Section 11.5.1 of the ghc
manual says that the --mk-dll option will cause ghc to create such a
library, but ghc 6.4.1 does not do this, at least not on Windows. Or did
you use the Microsoft lib.exe? (lib.exe /def Foo.def generates an import
library from the DLL but I have no idea how use it. After all, lib.exe
does not have any type information on the symbols exported by the DLL,
so how is this is supposed to work?)

- Assuming I have obtained an import library, how to use in the
Microsoft world, i.e.
how to bridge the gap from .a to .lib?

- Is Visual Studio 7 able to process the header files included from the
stub header files generated by ghc? Visual Studio 6 has a lot of
problems, e.g. it knows nothing about the type long long.

- Didn't you have problems with mangled names?

- What is the principal difference between using the import library and
writing one on my own? Does the import library do anything else than

It would be great if you could give me a recipe (in terms of a
shell-command sequence) that demonstrates how you achieved your goal!

Michael

BTW. If I learn anything from this thread that is not yet contained in
the Haskell Wiki page pointed to by Simon, I will add it.