[Haskell-cafe] Packages and modules

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Tue Jun 27 00:34:53 EDT 2006

Simon,

We covered this extensively in the Cabal vs Haskell thread starting
here: http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2005-April/003607.html

You concluded it by saying on April 22:

   And this observation points towards a simpler solution: rather than
   invisibly pre-pend the package name, just get the programmer to do so.
   So package P exposes a module called P.M and package Q exposes Q.M.  All
   P's internal modules are called P.something, and similarly for Q.  (We
   rely on some social mechanism for allocating new package names, as now.)
   Now of course you can import P.M and Q.M in a single module.

   That would be simple.  It might be pretty inconvenient to say 'import
   Base.Data.List' rather than just 'import Data.List'.  But nothing forces
   you to do this -- and indeed we don't do it for the current 'base'
   package.  The point is that it's an easy way for a package author to
   ensure their package won't conflict with others.  If they choose not to
   avail themselves of it, it's more likely that their package will be
   unusable because of accidental name conflicts.

   Bottom line: the current story is pretty defensible.  I'm not sure that
   keeping names unique by implicitly using package-ids is worth the
   bother.

   http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2005-April/003672.html

It seems like you are changing your position with this proposal?  Any
reason for doing so?

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com