Monomorphism restriction - is this still needed for efficiency?

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Fri Jun 9 11:46:15 EDT 2006

Hi -
I'm wondering if the monomorphism restriction is now just an anachronism
from Haskell 98 or if it is still needed for efficiency ie should I just now
use -fno-monomorphism-restriction when compiling all my code to consign it
to the dustbin of history? :-)

A related question is, if it can still improve efficiency when applied to
local bindings, whether it would be worthwhile to have an additional option
to switch monomorphism off for top level bindings but still keep it for
local bindings, since I can't think of any situation where I don't want a
top level binding to be fully polymorphic.

Does anyone know of any situation where a top level binding should not be
fully polymorphic?

Thanks, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com