GHC runtime DLLs

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 15:42:19 EDT 2006

Hi Brian,

> So here I am, trying to figure out
> what I can do to help GHC, since right now GHC is the only actively
> maintained, current Haskell compiler available.
nhc98 and Yhc are both compilers which are actively maintained.

>  (In any case, nhc98
> uses GMP as well, so even if you use nhc98 you will still have the
> DLL-NOTES problem to deal with.)
However, Yhc has a bytecode/runtime split, the runtime is Yhc and is
linked with GMP. The bytecode is not linked to GMP. In fact, even if
GMP was GPL (rather than just LGPL), Yhc would still allow you to have
entirely closed source bytecodes. So with Yhc you can have big numbers
and closed source :)

Thanks

Neil